PUT YOUR NAME HERE--->
Biology 347 - General Physiology Lab - Stark and Kumar - Fall 2004
Quiz 6 - Postquiz on Diving and and Prequiz on Optics, 11/11/04
All of these questions are word for word for quiz questions from last semester,
posted on the diving and optics web sites respectively
1. Which is the nerve that reports sensations from the face that mediate
the diving reflex?
trigeminal, 5th cranial nerve
2. A low number of what type of cone is to blame for small field tritanopia.
3. Suppose the resting pulse is 72, typical for most people. You have a
strip of 10 seconds from the power lab during a cold face dip where there
are 6 heart beats. How was the pulse
duh? ([6beats/10s]x[60s/1min]=36beats/min, goes to half resting)
4. The macular pigments are in the light path toward the region of sharpest
vision called (what)?
5. What does breathing through a snorkel without a face mask during a dive
Two possible answers.
(1) apnea (if you interpreted it as breathing vs. not breathing)
(2) trigeminal stimulation in eye-nose-area (if you interpreted it as with
vs without a face mask)
6. What region of the spectrum are insects famous for being able to see
but people cannot?
7. What is so unusual about the combination of pulse and pressure changes
b.p. going up while pulse goes down -- these two would usually go up or
8. What fraction of the light should get through a 1.2 log unit neutral
one half to the 4th power = 1/16
9. Express MAP (mean arterial pressure) in terms of diastolic and systolic
diastolic + 1/3(systolic-diastolic)
10. You can clearly see a blue appearance by shining 365 nm light onto
an index card because of what process?
This page was last updated 11/11/01
Return to Stark home page